Heat and Flame Resistant Clothing:
The people who are working in the steel mill, welding factory, molding factory, glass item manufacturing factory, etc. have to face enough flame and heat daily. Hence, their lifetime risk is higher. To save their body and life from the risk of flame and heat, it is necessary to provide them flame and heat resistant workwear. The human body and skin are heat sensitive. If human skin is subjected to 45°C, he feels burning effect and at 72°C, burning occurs in the skin, and blister is formed in the skin. If flame and heat or fire-resistant clothing is worn, under such risky condition, gets some time to save him.
10 Properties of Flame Resistant and Heat Resistant Clothing:
Some key properties of heat resistant and flame protective clothing have discussed below:
- If it is necessary to work at a very high temperature for a longer period, the clothing used should be of a higher thickness and very compactly woven. Because, the higher the thickness of clothing, the lower the compactness of the fabric and results higher the heat resistant property of the clothing. Because a lower density of clothing means a higher volume of still air.
- Still, air shows better heat property. Higher the still air in a fabric, the higher the heat resistant property of that fabric. There is a limit up to which still air can retain by a fabric. If fabric density is very low when still air cannot retain by the fabric, then that fabric shows lower heat resistant property.
- If it is necessary to work at a higher temperature for short time, then thicker fabric with more weight shows better heat resistant property. For example, in the case of industrial gloves, thickness, weight, and resiliency are important. Gloves made of jersey wool fabric having pile fibers show good thermal resistance at 270°C for a short period of time.
- Molten iron, aluminum, and magnesium splinter if drops on clothing, the clothing should be able to protect the human body from any damage. In this situation, clothing made of very heavy and thick woolen fabrics work satisfactorily. Protective clothing made of 540 grams per square meter thick woolen fabric can protect the human body if 350ml. molten iron, steel, brass, or copper falls on clothing.
- To protect the human body from a molten splinter of aluminum or magnesium, protective clothing made of 270-350 grams per square meter woolen fabric is sufficient. For this purpose, the woolen fabric should be knitted structure because the knit structure shows better performance than the woven structure.
- Clothing made of zipper woolen fabric and Caliban finished cotton fabric can protect the human body from the modern splinter of aluminum. Clothing made of the aluminized finished fabric also shows satisfactory performance but the surface of the fabric must be smooth so that molten splinter cannot stick with the fabric surface.
- The flame retardancy property of the clothing is considered in a clothed situation when time takes to feel burning on the body or to form a blister on the skin due to flame contact. the higher the safe protection time better the flame retardant clothing made of zipper wool, aramid, glass, and flame resistant cotton fabric subjected at 1200°C and found that to form a blister on the skin time takes more in case of clothing made of zirpro wool.
- That means protective clothing made of zirpro wool works better against flame contact than the others. As per protection length of time, the above mentioned four types of fabrics are presented here as per merit- zirpro wool, 85/15 zirpro wool or glass fiber, aramid fiber, and flame resistant cotton.
- Experimentally, it is also found that flame protective clothing made of two plies zirpro wool fabric, the outer ply twill fabric of 290grams per square meter, and inner ply rib fabric of 230grams per square meter shows longer time flame retardancy than the 552 grams per square meter single-ply zirpro wool fabric.
- In the case of flame protective clothing, two-ply fabric shows better performance than the single-ply heavier fabric because in the case of two-ply fabric, entrapped still air between two-ply shows better thermal resistance. When zirpro finish is done on woolen fabric then the finished fabric is called zirpro wool. Mix compound of titanium and zirconium is used for finishing wool fabric to increase flame retardancy property on woolen fiber, is called zirpro finish.
5 thoughts on “Heat Resistant Clothing | Flame Resistant Clothing”
Thanks for your nice article.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate your efforts and I am waiting for your next write ups thanks once again.
Hi there very nice web site!! Guy .. Beautiful ..
Wonderful .. I’ll bookmark your website and take the feeds also?
I’m glad to find so many useful info here within the submit, we’d
like develop extra techniques on this regard, thanks for sharing.
. . . . .
I quite like looking through an article that can make men and women think.
Also, thank you for allowing for me to comment!
Very nice blog post. I absolutely love this website. Thanks!