Definition of Non-Woven Fabric | Characteristics of Non-Woven Fabric | Classification of Non-Woven Fabrics | Non-Woven Fabric Types | Non Woven Fabric List
What is Non-Woven Fabric?
It can be defined as the textile structure made directly from the fibre rather than yarn. These types of fabrics are normally made from the fibre webs or from the continuous filaments or batts strengthened by bonding using different techniques. These include adhesive bonding, fluid jet entanglement or mechanical interlocking by needing, stitch bonding and thermal bonding.
The controversial or agitated areas are mentioned in the following:
- Needle fabrics containing reinforcing fabric.
- Wet laid fabrics contains woods pull up in which the boundary with paper is not clear.
- Stitch bonded fabrics which contain some yarn bonding purposes.
According to ASTMD,
A textile structure is produced by interlocking or bonding of fibres or both accomplished by chemical, mechanical or solvent means and combination is known as non-woven fabric.
Properties of Non-Woven Fabric:
Some key characteristics of non-woven fabrics have pointed out in the below:
- The presence of non-woven fabrics may be felt like, paper like or very similar to that of woven fabrics.
- Non-woven fabric may be too much thicker than or as thin as tissue paper.
- It may be opaque or translucent.
- Some non-woven fabrics have excellent launder ability where others have none.
- The drapability of non-woven fabric varies from good to none at all.
- Burst strength of this fabric is to very high tensile strength.
- Non-woven fabric may be fabricated by gluing, sewing or heat bonding.
- Non-woven fabric may have a resilient, soft hand.
- This type of fabric may be stiff, hard, or broadly with little pliability.
- These types of fabric porosity ranges from low tear.
- Some non-woven fabrics may be dry-cleaned.
List of Non-Woven Fabrics Produced in Textile Industry:
Those are listed in the following:
- Geotextile fabrics,
- Diaper cover stocks,
- Filters (Air & Liquid),
- Barriers in Medical diapers,
- PVC copolymers,
- Medical Products,
- Industrial protective apparel,
- Hazmat Applications,
- Surgical gowns,
- Home furnishing,
- House Wrap,
- Sealing performance,
- Standing leg cuff,
- Automotive interior trim Carpets,
- Heat insulation,
- Sound insulation,
- Automotive heat insulation,
- Acrylic weather ability water repellency,
- Face masks,
- Synthetic leather,
- Cussion pads,
- Medical Products,
- Protective wrapping material,
- Blood filters,
- Flame retardancy.