A Details Discussion On Space Shuttle Protective Clothing
What is Protective Clothing?
How to Make Protective Clothing for Space Shuttle?
A Blanket made for the outer space traveler is made of two-ply fabric made from glass fiber and in between the two-ply fabric, fibrous silica is used. Besides those, as heat-resistant clothing, needle felt Nomex fiber; graphite fiber, and ceramic fiber is a woven fabric, silicon rubber-coated fabrics are also used.
At the time of launching the space shuttle, to dissipate the surface temperature of the space shuttle, a water-filled bag made of ripstop nylon fabric is used on its surface. These kinds of water bags are manufactured by the Makrum Company. A special type of protective textiles or clothing has been made for the outer space shuttle traveler. The clothing is made of tubular woven fabric, woven in X-2 Draper shuttle loom with the continuous polyester filament, then coated and molded to the required design and shape of the clothing.
Materials Used in Space Shuttle Protective Clothing:
Different types of materials used in space shuttle protective textiles are listed below:
- Urethane-coated nylon,
- Nylon tricot,
- Kevlar (material in bullet-proof vests),
- Neoprene-coated nylon.
Key advantages of space shuttle protective textiles are presented in the following:
- Spacesuits have multiple layers of durable fabrics such as Dacron or Kevlar to protect the astronauts from shock with micrometeoroids.
- Most of the spacesuits provide a pure oxygen atmosphere for breathing.
- To keep the fluids in the body, the spacesuit provides air pressure.
- To remove carbon dioxide space suits use lithium hydroxide canisters.
- To help the astronauts bend their hands, arms, legs, knees, and ankles space suits are equipped with special joints or tapers in the fabric.