What is Sizing? | Types of Sizing | Properties of Size Ingredients
Definition of Sizing:
Sizing is the process of applying size ingredients in the warp yarn. There are different types of sizing processes which are deeply discussed in this article.
|Sizing machine used in weaving|
Types of Sizing:
Sizing process is classified into three types, which are pointed out in the below:
- Pure sizing,
- Light sizing,
- Medium sizing,
- Heavy sizing.
All the above types of sizing have explained in the following:
1. Pure Sizing:
This type of sizing process is used to produce unbleached fabric. In case of pure sizing, up to 10% size ingredients are used in warp yarn.
2. Light Sizing:
Light sizing is used for printing and dyeing. In case of light sizing, 11-15% size ingredients are used in warp yarn.
3. Medium sizing:
In case of medium sizing, 16-40% size ingredients are used in warp yarn.
4. Heavy sizing:
During heavy sizing, more than 40% size ingredients are used in warp yarn.
Properties of Size Ingredients:
Important properties of size ingredients are-
- Ingredients should not cause any degradation of the textile materials.
- It should provide excellent fabric properties.
- It should be coherent with the sizing machinery and its associated parts.
- It should not change the color of colored yarn of colored shade.
- It will be that which imparts the least exfoliation.
- It should be easily removed during wet processing process.
- Adhesive substance must be more adhesive.
- Sizing ingredients should not cause any kinds of health hazard.
- These ingredients should be always natural.
- It should not do any harm to the yarn or fibre.
- Sizing ingredients should be always cheap.
- These kinds of ingredients should be available in here and there.
- Sizing recipe must be that which provides lower end breakages.
- This kinds of ingredients must be easily washable that means it imparts easy de-sizing.
- These kinds of ingredients should have ability to dry instantly after completing sizing process.