Different Size Ingredients | Functions of Size Ingredients
Sizing Process in Weaving:
Sizing is very important process to produce required quality fabric in weaving. Sizing process is done in warp yarn by using some ingredients which are named as size ingredients. This article has presented those ingredients with their functions.
|Size ingredients applied by sizing machine|
Size Ingredients and Their Functions:
Various sizing ingredients have pointed out in the below:
- Wetting agent,
- Weighting agent,
- Softener or lubricant,
- Hygroscopic agent,
- Tinting agent,
- Anti-mildew or antiseptic agent,
- Antifoaming agent.
All the above sizing ingredients have explained in the following with their functions:
Generally adhesives are potato, Carboxy Methyl Cellulose (CMC), startcg of maize, sag, corn, PVA and PVC.
Functions of Adhesive in Sizing:
- It is used to impart adhesion,
- It is used to increase stiffness and elasticity of warp yarn,
- It is used to increase strength of warp yarn,
- It is used to reduce extension percentage,
- It is used to increase smoothness of warp yarn.
2. Wetting agent:
Wetting agent which are used in sizing are Magnesium Chloride, soap and sulphanol.
Functions of Wetting agent in Sizing:
- It is used to achieve uniform distribution of sizing solution,
- It is used to increase size exhaust.
3. Weighting agent:
Weighting agents which are used during sizing warp yarn are French chalk, sodium sulphate and china clay.
Functions of Weighting agent in Sizing:
- It is used to prevent opening of cloth,
- It is used to provide fullness and feel to the woven fabric,
- It is also used to increase the weight of warp yarn during finishing.
4. Softener or lubricant:
Softener or lubricants which are used diring sizing warp yarn are soap, mineral oils, coconut oil, tallow, TRO, animal fats and japan wax.
Functions of Softener or lubricant in sizing:
- It is used to decrease stiffness,
- It is used to increase the smooth of warp yarn,
- It is used to decrease friction and flexibility,
- It is also used to make the warp yarn soft and slippery.
5. Hygroscopic agent:
Hygroscopic agents used in sizing are calcium chloride, magnesium chloride and glycerin.
Functions of Hygroscopic agent in Sizing:
- It is used to prevent excesive drying of warp yarn.
- It is used to increase the moisture of yarn,
6. Tinting agent:
Blue is used in sizing as tinting agent.
Functions of Tinting agent:
- It is used to prevent dusting off,
- It is used to increase the brightness of warp yarn,
- It is used to remove the yellowish color of warp yarn,
- It is also used to form a particular shade.
7. Anti-mildew or antiseptic agent:
Anti-mildew or antiseptic agents are Phenol, Carboxylic acid, salicylic acid.
Functions of Anti-mildew or Antiseptic Agent in Sizing:
- It is used to protect yarn from fungus or bacteria.
- It is used to prevent mildew formation,
- It is also used to help to store the sized warp yarn.
8. Antifoaming agent:
Antifoaming agents which are used in sizing are benzene, pyridine.
Functions of Antifoaming Agent in Sizing:
- It is used to prevent foam formation.